Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Interview with Leigh Bardugo - author of Shadow and Bone

Today we have Leigh Bardugo as our guest author, review to come here soon... 
I had this interview for my Turkish website but why not post it here as well :) So please enjoy!!!

As I have mentioned earlier, your book Shadow and Bone has recently been published in Turkey and getting quite popular pretty quickly these days. Can you tell us a little about yourself, your writing to publishing story as I have read in your bio that you are also a makeup artist? What made you decide to be a writer? 

I'm so happy to hear that people are enjoying Shadow and Bone. I always wanted to write fiction, but when I was working as a copywriter and a journalist, I never dedicated enough time to my own writing projects. Somehow transitioning to a career as a makeup artist seemed to change that. I came home tired but ready to write. And working in makeup was inspiring. Makeup artists get to create illusion and their own kind of magic every day. 

Your characters in the book are well developed, vivid and very relatable; not perfect and interesting, especially Alina. How did you create her? Did you have a goal in mind for her or any of other characters, in the beginning of your story? And if so, how much did you change her or others along the way? 

I'm so glad you enjoyed them! I didn't really have a goal in mind, but I'm not really interested in heroes who always make the right choices or villains who just spend all of their time being evil and scheming. No one is ever just one thing. I think the key to understanding both Mal and Alina was Keramzin, the orphanage where they grew up. Once I understood this part of their past, I had a much clearer idea of how the desire to belong and to find a home would impact both of them. 

Well this when the character topic is on, this question is inevitable for me, who is your favourite character and why? 

My favourite character actually appears for the first time in book 2, Siege and Storm. He's a privateer named Sturmhond and he was so much fun to write. Most of my characters spend a lot of time questioning themselves, but Sturmhond is pure confidence.  


As we are talking about characters, there is something else I am in awe! I am not much of a fantasy lover, especially when it comes to magic. But in your book, the magic has been so well hidden, well portrayed in the story and characters, looks very natural and realistic that I didn’t even think it was magic at all. Can you tell us about the magical powers and how/why you chose them? 

I always wondered what happens when you wave a wand or speak a curse? What is the actual, physical functionality of magic? The Small Science (the magical system in my book) is basically a magical version of molecular chemistry and the Grisha manipulate matter at its most fundamental levels. I think magic feels much more real when it's constrained by rules. 

Last question, can you tell us a little about the sequel? What should we expect? And of course, what would you like to tell your Turkish fans/readers? 

Lots of action, some new characters, and we'll be seeing a bit more of the world outside of Ravka's borders. And I'd just like to say that I'm so honored to have my book published in Turkey. I hope my Turkish readers enjoy the series and that one of these days I'll get to visit!   

I know that you are very busy these days, so thank you so much for sparing time! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;