Friday, March 15, 2013

Interview with J.A. Redmerski


Ok, here is an interview I had last month with Jessica for my Turkish Blog! As the sequeal to The Edge of Never has recently been revealed, I thought this might be interesting to read for her and the books' fans... Enjoy...

First of all, thank you for joining me for this interview. I am sure you have been asked several times, but as your novel The Edge of Never has not yet been published in Turkey, can you tell us a little about yourself and your book? 

Thanks for having me.  Well, my author name is J.A. but my first name is ‘Jessica’. I’m a mother to three wonderful and talented children and they live with me in Arkansas, United States. THE EDGE OF NEVER isn’t my first published book, but it was my first New Adult/Conremporary Romance title and I have to say that with its success and how much I enjoyed writing it, it will be hard for to go back to writing any other genre.

The twitter question happen to grow on me lately,  can you tell as about The Edge of Never in 140 characters ;) 

Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett impulsively boards a Greyhound bus to start her life anew, and meets a man with a dark secret.

It is a book, you live and feel everything together with your characters. They are so vivid, easily lovable and relatable. They make you feel their pain and love. How did you manage that?

I’m glad you connected with Camryn and Andrew on that level! I honestly don’t know how I pulled that off, but I was so deeply invested in the characters and their journey that I didn’t think of anything else in  the six weeks it took me to write it. I think maybe because I was writing the story because it felt right rather than it being just another writing project, is why it felt real to readers.

As we are discussing the characters, although; it was a little confusing at times, I loved the two POV narration in the story. It made many things easier to understand. How did you decide on this structure? Oh, and of course, as we have two leads, which do you prefer the most; Camryn or Andrew?

I didn’t decide to use two POV’s until Andrew stepped on the bus. When he did, I just knew that like Camryn, I needed to give him his own voice in the story so that readers could relate to both of them on the same level and get insight into both of their minds. Which do I prefer? I can’t really answer that as I love them both equally and there is some of myself in each of their personalities. 


You are a self-published author, I must admit we don’t have that, much in Turkey yet, hope soon... How was your journey from writing to publishing?

The self-publishing journey has been great. Very difficult, but definitely rewarding! I’ve been writing since the age of thirteen, so I knew that I would be published someday even if I had to do it alone. And it has paid off because as of last month, THE EDGE OF NEVER was picked up by numerous foreign publishers, including Ephesus in Turkey! 

What is your writing process like, do you outline or figure it out on the way? And your writing style?

I never outline, but instead I just go along for the journey with the characters and see where they take me. As far as my writing style, I love to write in first-person POV because I feel like it’s more personal and the narration has a unique ‘voice’ that allows readers to connect with the characters on a deeper level. 

Can you tell us a little about your other books?

I’ve written a YA paranormal trilogy called The Darkwoods Trilogy about werewolves and a bizarre contemporary fantasy titled DIRTY EDEN and all of them are so very different from THE EDGE OF NEVER that some might wonder if the same author wrote them.  

You had a trilogy in paranormal romance, the darkwoods trilogy and a fantasy before The Edge of Never and now a totally different and a new genre, New Adult – I must admit, it is kind of my favourite these days. How different was that for you?

As I mentioned, after writing a few different genres, I have to say that I’m definitely leaning more towards New Adult and Contemporary Romance now. THE EDGE OF NEVER just came so natural to me and felt so right that I don’t know when I’ll ever write another paranormal or fantasy novel again.  

And what do you think about this newest addition to the genre pool? Do you think New Adult Genre is a step between YA and Adult books? Why do you think it is out there now?

I think New Adult primarily focuses on all of the firsts: first real job, first apartment, first real relationship. With NA, the stories are more daring, reckless and are about that self‐discovery phase. New Adult is more mature than Young Adult and not too Adult. It’s right there in the goldilocks zone.

It tried to appear in the pool of genres a few years ago (guess in 2009) but couldn’t get a perminent place then. But this time, it seems different, it has kind of exploded and almost every good book in the genre are hitting the bestseller lists. Why do you think it is different this time?

I don’t think anything about the stories or writing is different, but I think NA has finally proved it’s point. Like with anything new, it just takes a little while for it to catch on. But it does make me smile to know that New Adult is making a huge name for itself in the literary world primarly with the boost that successful self-published authors have given it. For the first time (I believe) it’s not a traditionally published author setting the bar for something new.  

I have read it in The Guardian as a genre for the readers between 14-35 ages. This is a serious age difference I must admit. Do you think a 14 year-old teen ( I believe it should be at least 17 with the language and subject in these books but anyway)   and a 35 year-old adult can get the same thing from the same book?

I’ve never heard of that age range for NA. NA is definitely  for readers of at least 17 because it tends to be more mature than something a 14-year-old should be reading. And I believe it’s not easy for any book to be enjoyable by 14 and 35-year-olds alike unless it’s Harry Potter or Twilight.  

And it seems like the genre is in the hands of indie/self-published authors lately. You are a self-published writer with a very good sample of the genre under your belt? So what do you think about this?

I think it’s a great honor! Like I said before, it’s primarily the self-published authors setting the stage for New Adult literature and I think that just gives us more credibility.  

It looks like we have another month or so to wait for your beautifully written, very emotional novel. What would you like to say to your future Turkish readers and fans? :) And what else should we expect from Jessica Redmerski in the future?

Well, first of all, I’m so happy that THE EDGE OF NEVER was picked up by a Turkish publisher. I hope to geta copy of that version!  I want to thank all of you who have already enjoyed the book because your enjoyment of it helped get it in the hands of a publisher over there! What to expect from me in the future? Definitely more New Adult  and Contemporary Romance fiction, but I’ll let my Turkish fans in on a little secret: I’m working on book two to THE EDGE OF NEVER right now, though I can’t say whether it’s a sequel, prequel or spinoff yet, but after I finish with that I’m going back into an exciting and daring novel I started a month ago and it’s considered Romantic Suspense. 

Thank you once again! 
And again, thanks so much for having me!:-D



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;